Monday 27 January 2014

The weekend turnaround

Thankfully it was now the weekend (Friday & Saturday here). Not that it meant anything significant like it really would at home for I've yet to discover anything to do to get excited about doing even if I wasn't crippled with food poisoning (self diagnosed but confirmed by the pharmacist afterward). It did mean I could remain in the flat and even better, in bed. I know that sounds incredibly bone idle but I will point out again that I have nowhere to even sit other than the matress anyway (I am on it as I type in fact propping myself up against the wall). 

Friday was indeed a write off with again only a single venture to Panda for more basic supplies. I was still as bad as the day before with regard bathroom trips (and by now I wasn't sure where it was all coming from!) but the aches and pains had dies down which gave me hope the medication was working - or at least the one for that particular thing anyway... By Saturday morning though I felt perfectly fine again. My stomache had calmed right down and I wanted to make the most of it and get some fresh air. Conscious of having told the department head I was sorting out my flat I thought I'd go and actually try to make progress so grabbing my wallet I went on a mission.

I came back with a brand new fridge for $650SAR (just over £100) and a second hand air conditioning unit for $600SAR which I had the guys install in the kitchen. It's most likely I'll have to buy two more untis when it gets warmer but I thought I'd see how I get on with just the one for now. After they'd installed it I went back out again to go and get some fresh milk and a few other bits that I could not refrigerate (another thing I think people take for granted until they lose it). I scoured Panda as best I could (once they let me in because it was prayer time when I got there so I had to wait 20 mintues) but all I could find was a pack of 12 spoons to make do with for the time being. 

As I was leaving I had a phone call from Ricky saying he was at the apartment and had my Iqama! Such a fantasic suprise because it was my ticket back to wifi and civilisation by proxy. He drove to meet me and then dropped me off outside a store which sold routers so for $1100SAR (£190) I got a 4G router (they don't have landlines here so everything is 2G, 3G or 4G) with a 12 month unlimited SIM card. No suprise then I couldn't get it out of the box and turned on fast enough when I arrived back at the flat. 

I rang home and ended up spending hours on facetime to my Mum, Dad and Nan which really just topped off a day that had turned me right back around again. By the time I had finished, made myself spahetti bolognaise for dinner (which was lovely) and was ready to turn in for the night I was really looking forward to getting up at half 5 and going back to work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment